Red&Blue Annual Symposium
Creating Actionable Climate Science
Real estate and infrastructure climate risk insights raise fundamental questions about actionability. What should we do with the outcomes of the current risk assessments? Are actors already taking action or is additional information needed? Do public and private actors have a shared view of this? What do they need from each other?
On September 8th 2023, actionability is central to the second Red&Blue Annual Symposium. Our aim: to jointly continue growing a better understanding of the implications of climate science for climate governance and real estate and infrastructure adaptation strategies. The Annual Symposium is hosted by Waternet AGV and co-led by VU Amsterdam.
Please note: You can attend the Annual Symposium only by invitation. If you would like to be part of the symposium, please send an email to: email@example.com
First Year Overview
After the Launch Symposium in September 2022, Red&Blue has been developing in accordance with its transdisciplinary objective and three-layer impact plan, bringing over fifty representatives together from key professional and academic organizations. Since the start of the project, several events, meetings, workshops, and outreach activities (e.g., Launch Symposium; monthly labs; focal point meeting; public events) have been collaboratively organized by the research team.
This year, the Annual Symposium will be co-hosted by the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Waternet AGV. An inspiring program will mark the end of the first year of the Red&Blue project. It includes varying interactive sessions across disciplines and across the academic and professional fields that are part of the consortium.
Goals of the Symposium
Focusing on the actionability of climate science, the Symposium will aim to find a balance between engaging and informing the whole consortium, providing an excellent opportunity to strengthen collaboration and get to know each other better. At this stage of the project, it is crucial to make a big step in aligning all research work packages and to make sure the research program addresses societal needs, and that we (re)set our goals/deliverables as concretely as possible accordingly.
Therefore, the main goals of the day are to:
- Bring together the whole consortium to strengthen relations and collaboration
- Reconfirm the main aim and core questions of Red&Blue
- Inform the (broader) consortium on progress and targets
- (Re)Align planned research with societal needs and latest developments
- Concretise the research and deliverables.
- 9:00 - 10:00
- Walk-in / Coffee
- 10:00 - 12:30
- Plenary Morning Program
- Welcome & Opening by the Red&Blue Core Team Setting the Scene 1: Climate Science vs Climate Action By VU Amsterdam & Deltares Panel discussion: Actionability - implications of climate science for decision-making Work Package Pitches: Working towards Actionability
- 12:30 - 13:30
- 13:30 - 16:15
- Afternoon Program
- Setting the Scene 2: The Changing Climate Governance Landscape Impact Tables Round 1 & 2 Table Reports: Insights, Commitments and Next Steps
- 16:15 - 17:00
- Plenary Closing Session
- 17:00 - 18:00
- Network Drinks